Re: tramp (2.0.25); Hangs on connect

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.25); Hangs on connect
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:56:47 +0200

Ian Bicking <address@hidden> writes:

> I've included the *debug...* output both for the failed root login,
> and the successful non-root login.
>
> *tramp/ssh address@hidden
>
> foo
> bar
> $ $
>
> *debug tramp ...*
>
> # Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
> # Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> # Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
> # Found remote shell prompt.
> # Initializing remote shell
> $ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
> # Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
> exec env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh
> $ # Setting up remote shell environment
> stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U'
> $ $ # Determining coding system
> foo
> bar
> $ # Trying `stty -onlcr'
>

> *debug tramp ...*
>
> # Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
> # Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> # Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
> # Found remote shell prompt.
> # Initializing remote shell
> $ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
> # Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...

If you compare the two debug buffers, you see that for root the
command "exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh" is echoed, but for ianb, it is
not echoed.

Can you try to set up the root environment on that host such that the
command is not echoed, and then check that it works?

After verifying that this is indeed the problem, we can think about
how to circumvent it.

kai