Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:49:59 +1000

|--==> "KG" == Kai Gro <address@hidden> writes:

  KG> I meant the case where user/host is given in one file, but not in
  KG> both files.  But I think that's not what I said :-(

OK, I think I might be coming around to your way of thinking...

(make-symbolic-link "/address@hidden/path/file"
                    "/path/symlink")
  => FILENAME -> remote;  LINKNAME -> local

(make-symbolic-link "/path/file"
                    "/address@hidden/path/symlink")
  => FILENAME -> local;  LINKNAME -> remote

(make-symbolic-link "/address@hidden/path/file"
                    "/address@hidden/path/symlink")
  => FILENAME -> remote;  LINKNAME -> remote

(make-symbolic-link "/path/file"
                    "/path/symlink")
  => FILENAME -> local;  LINKNAME -> local

But I'm still not convinced that a symlink that spans different hosts
is a good idea.  It might be OK when done via NFS, but in that
situation the remote filesystem is mounted locally.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |