tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Wiki

From: Ervin Hegedüs
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Wiki
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:56:44 +0100

Hi Thomas, and all,

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:31:56PM +0100, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as I moved the tlf code to github I had looked for a place to integrate
> all information (static pages, a wiki and maybe a new list server) at a
> single point. So I created the tlf.github.com repo as a first test to
> generate the tlf.github.io pages. The first experiment was the
> index2.html page which Fred mentioned.
> Unfortunately I found not the time to complete the work.
>
> If we want to use it I will simply move that page to
> http://tlf.github.io/index.html and we have a static page as a starting
> point.

I don't see, why isn't good for us this.

> Until now I had written the page in ASCIIDOC - quiet simple. The idea
> behind was to have a chance to recycle what was written for a user
> manual (ASCIIDOC can easily create PDF files). But that is just a
> starting point and there is no need o keep it that way.

As I see the github.io, I think that will be enough...
We can upload pictures, can format the text...

> If you are interested I can give you access to the pages. For that I
> need an public ssh key from you.

Personally, I'm focusing to another tasks in Tlf, but I planned
to make/extend Tlf documentation - example, I imagined a big QTC
howto with images, some video... etc.

> If we want another domain to redirect to the pages under a different
> name it is documented at
> https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/
> I am not quite firm in that but maybe you can see how it should be done.

that's very simple, but now I don't see the reason, why we should
choose own domain name - of course, if this commnity wants an own
domain name, I'll registrate that, but if we find the final
solution, then it not required.

> Wrt to the wiki I had done some experiments with the github one some
> time ago and I only remember that I was not very impressed. But I can
> not remember any more why exactly. Easiest way would be to make a own
> test repo on github and experiment with the wiki for that repo.
>
> We can link to that wiki anytime later from the static pages (and even
> switching to a different one should be easy).

Why does it need any non-static page for a wiki? We're using some
Mediawiki at our company, that's also contains static pages - which
formatted by a simple markup language. It's more, than enough...

73,

Ervin
HA2OS

--