tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] FOC Marathon support

From: Martin Kratoska
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] FOC Marathon support
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:55:24 +0100

Hi Tom,

Dne 7.1.2014 21:47, Thomas Beierlein napsal(a):

So let me ask some more details for clarification:

- Do we have a list of the special exception stations (or are it all
   stations ending in FOC?)
Yes. It is G4FOC or any alternative (G4FOC/P, G4FOC/A etc.) or any possible G*4FOC operating within UK (ie. GM4FOC, GI4FOC/P etc.). ONLY ONE call can have this status, ie. if GM4FOC appears, there can't be G4FOC.

- Do the special stations also double the points for new dxcc and
   country?
No. Country and continent bonus counts only once

- Do we need to count the points for each station separately
   or is it enough to have the total score?
Only the total score is needed, no matter how many points you get with a particular station. A list of bands where you worked a station is already present, no changes needed. The scoring system presumes that we know:
- number of QSO (1 pt. each, G4FOC counts twice)
- number of bonus points for continent (30 maximum, each continent counts only once per contest, regardless of the band) - number of bonus points for country (each country counts only once per contest, regardless of the band) - number of bonus points for 5band contacts. Every 5bander represents 10 bonus ponts -> every station worked on 5 bands represents 5 QSO points + 10 bonus points for 5 bander = 15 points total. - number of bonus points for 6band contacts. Every 6bander represents 5 bonus ponts -> every station worked on 6 bands represents 6 QSO points + 10 bonus points for 5 bander + 5 bonus points for 6th band = 21 points total. Remember that every 6bander is an "extended 5bander", ie. a 6bander is already a 5bander. The additional 5 points bonus is added for the 6th band.

It goes so:
1 band = 1 point
2 bands = 2 points
3 bands = 3 points
4 bands = 4 points
5 bands = 15 points
6 bands = 21 points

- What format is needed for the contest log? Is cabrillo enough or do
   you need some special report?
There is not a prescribed format, however FOC has a special Excel application called Marabella
http://marabella.g3wgv.com/
allowing import of Cabrillo or ADIF.

The log is the filled tick sheet. The log file with QSO data is not a matter of prime importance although it is welcomed in any format. Actually, Marabella simplifies painful filling of tick sheets with Xes to the appropriate columns/rows.

73,
Martin, OK1RR

Many thanks for your response. I know that this contest is/should be
marginal (because it is a members only event) but I know that a linux
program supporting this event would be a matter of interest of some
other 10 members (BTW who are very known, famous calls like AA3B
etc.). I am pretty sure that support of this contest will open door
to a wide and very popular group of club contests.

You are right. That was also my thinking when I read your mail. Let us
try if we can do it in time.

which is also open to non members
http://www.cwops.org/cwopen.html
It has also its own species (ie. is "trifilod" - 3 separate periods)
and the support will be more than welcome. Within CWops is A LOT of
hams interested.

Just reading the rules the main problem seems to count the calls as
multipliers.

The three sessions can be done as three single contests, but have to
be counted together by hand.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

I believe that support of FOC Marathon and CWO will help in spreading
of tlf among many well known hams.

Many thanks and HNY 2014!

73,
Martin, OK1RR