tiger-devel

[Tiger-devel] RFC: Move check_passwdformat to systems/Linux/2?

From: Ryan Bradetich
Subject: [Tiger-devel] RFC: Move check_passwdformat to systems/Linux/2?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:30:17 -0600

Hello all,

Currently if the Tiger_Check_PASSWD is defined in the tigerrc, Tiger
tries to run both check_passwd and check_passwdformat

Snippet taken from tiger:
[ "$Tiger_Check_PASSWD" != 'N' ] && {
  echo "`$TIMECMD`> Checking password files..."
  run_script check_passwd >> $logtmp
  echo "`$TIMECMD`> Checking password format..."
  run_script check_passwdformat >> $logtmp
}

The problem with this is the check_passwdformat check depends upon
COLUMN and Linux is the only platform to define COLUMN:

$ find . -type f | xargs grep COLUMN
./Linux/2/config:COLUMN=`findcmd column`
./Linux/2/config:export PWD AUTORPM APT ID EXPAND LASTLOG TEST TEE
COLUMN

This causes the following messages to show up in the tiger logs:

# Checking the format of passwd and group files.
--ERROR-- [init001e] Don't have required command COLUMN.

Not a major deal ... but I can not find an equivalent of COLUMN for
HP-UX or Tru64 ... so this error is kinda pointless for these platforms
:)

The other choice I have is to add an overriding check_passwdformat
module (possibly empty) to both HPUX and Tru64 (or possibly default?) to
remove this error...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Ryan