Re: [Texmacs-dev] eps image is pixelated

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] eps image is pixelated
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:49:09 +0200

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Michael Lachmann <address@hidden> wrote:
I don't know if you remember, but I once had a patch that stored converted (eps->png)
images in a cache directory, based on the CRC of the file. It worked quite well,
and as a bonus also took the hardcoded gs command out of the source code.

Oops, sorry. I had indeed forgotten / not known.

When you open a file with lots of EPSes, it really helps.

The temporary solution telling scalable_image to draw() using the in-memory cache does not help in this matter. However it's so easy that it should be committed in the meantime if we decide it doesn't create any problems (I have a bad feeling it will...)

Joris asked me to convert it to C++, and it stopped there.

You wrote it in scheme, I guess? Did you send the patch to savannah?

Anyway, I don't know if this is needed if the images are stored in cache. But the cache is not saved
for the next time TeXmacs runs, right? So maybe it is beneficial.

As I said, the current cache is in memory, with a hashmap based on filename+width+height

Should I restore that? (And if I add the CRC caching to the C++ source, where's the best place to put it?)

I guess you could start looking around in scalable_image and cached_load_picture.

Would this CRC caching also cache scaled versions of the images? That is: would we still suffer the performance hit of conversion each time the canvas scrolls? If yes, could you add width+height to the index of the cache?

Best,
--
Miguel de  Benito.