Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drawing mode feature request: Annotation of .eps graph

From: Karl Hegbloom
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drawing mode feature request: Annotation of .eps graphics.
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:20:45 -0800

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:43 +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> >Another item for a sublist...  I'd like to show dimensions in some
> >constructions.  There's two ways to show them.  One is the dimension
> >lines as used in blueprints, where you draw line segments in line with
> >the end points of the item you are measuring, and then draw a line with
> >arrows on the ends that has a break in the center where the dimension is
> >written.
> >
> That is an interesting idea, I will have to think about how
> to do it best.
>
> >  Another nice way to show it is to use a large {, as in the
> >\choice macro of TeXmacs, or like a large opened calipers.
> >
> I see.

It will require creating a large { and then rotating it to the right
angle, the placing it next to the points being measured between.  It
would be great if the measurement can be automatically displayed,
implying that the drawing is to some scale.  Other times you want to
label it there with a variable, $x$, or constant identifier, $a$.

> >For the 3-d constructions, perhaps a nice way to do a projection drawing
> >would be nice.  Have you ever learned to do one point or two point
> >projections?
> >
> I did technical drawing (long time ago).

We learned some mechanical drawing in art and industrial arts in the 9th
grade.

> >  It's where you tape down your sheet of paper, then pick
> >one or two points off to the upper right of your page, the distance they
> >are from your paper determines your viewing angle. [...]
> >
> >It probably works well enough for the simple kind of geometric diagram
> >required for schematic illustrations of physics problems, I think.
> >

> What would be easy to do right now would be something similar
> to VRML markup, that you would input in source mode, and
> that would become activated at some point. On the other
> hand, interactive editing would raise a lot of (interesting,
> indeed) other problems.

Interactive would be best, for sure.  I think that DraTeX can do that
kind of drawing, but I'm not sure.  I have not tried to use very many
computerize illustration tools yet.  Maybe I'll find some time for that
soonish.

--
Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden>