Re: [Texmacs-dev] Cache profiling of TeXmacs 1.0.3.9

From: skhilji
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Cache profiling of TeXmacs 1.0.3.9
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:20:44 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
Date: Saturday, May 22, 2004 3:43 am

> actuallythey would not have happened in the first time if texmacs
> had been
> written in C++ and not in a "scheme-c++ lookalike thing while
> keeping an
> eye on mathemagix" of your own. Use the dialects of the programming
> language, or be doomed to eternal suffering.

I agree with David here.  Going thru TeXmacs source code recently, I can bet
$$$ on the fact that a C++ based approach would have avoided some of the
performance problems----simply because the Scheme-like C++ is forcing us to do
computations at runtime that otherwise would have happened at compile time.

And I am beginning to hate reference counting as well.  Every time we pass
pointer around to functions, we are dong additional math (incrementing and
decrementing the counts, calling ctors and dtors).  Refernece counting is not
transparent either.  Several places in the code I see code like:

a[i] = copy(a[i]);

That is really confusing and almost impossible for a new programmer to
understand.

Salman