Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:51:53 +0200 (CEST)

> > This is doable using yet another LaTeX package called "calc", which
> > contains the command "widthof" to be used like so:
> >
> > \widthof{\some{\LaTeX} code which \may{contain} anything, including \\
> > new lines.}
> >
> > This command could then constitute the width parameter to the minipage,
> > which would constrain the total width of the minipage, making it appear
> > more like a TeXmacs figure.  Unfortunately, this means that we have to
> > (tmtex ...) the contents of the figure twice, and it causes LaTeX to
> > complain about "Runaway Argument" and such, especially if the figure
> > contains a lot of text, instead of just an EPS image.
>

> I think that is another case where it would be useful to have an
> actual texmacs typesetter (maybe just passed as the "current buffer")
> used as input to export filters.
>
> This would make it possible to ask texmacs the displayed width of an image.
>
> What is the opinion of the Benevolent Dictator on that issue? I am
> just wasting my (digital) breath, is such a change planned, or would
> it be accepted if submitted?

I think that we might ask the current typesetter to create
auxiliary data which may be reused during conversions.

This is indeed a bit dirty; a clean solution would be to
use rewriters with multiple branches, which may simultaneously
produce a TeXmacs box *and* the converted document.
But this is too far away, so let us forget about that that for now.