Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:27:33 -0700

> Anyhow, I am not going to stop monitoring what is going on. Putting
> that work in a good revision control system (*not* CVS) just seems the
> best way to make it reusable.
>
> Live patches are important, I do need them to do my work. If other
> people need them too and contribute to a distributed development
> system, everybody win.
>
> <flame>I think that you are very much underestimating the frustration
> experienced by contributors to the project. You previously noted that
> the linux kernel does not have a CVS, and that contributors submit
> patches to the maintainer. Do not forget that the linux kernel has an
> insanely branched code base.</flame>
>
> Really, I am not trying to start a flame. I am just looking for ways
> to improve everyone effectiveness and avoid uneeded frustration.

What is the rationale not to have the source in CVS at savannah.gnu.org?

If only Joris has commit access and he makes a CVS tag each
time he does a release I think there would not be much
difference in his current procedures and there would be benefits
both to him and to others without much cost.

CVS is not perfect, but in my experience it is far better than
the model where the maintainer accepts patches sent in from
others and does periodic releases. Even if only one person has
commit access, CVS is better.

Even for the non-maintainer who has only anonymous access
it is SO convenient to be able to 'cvs diff -u' and get a
patch, or 'cvs update' and get a merge with the current CVS.

Daniel Bump