Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs installation problem

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs installation problem
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:20:54 +0100

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:29:05AM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > Generating the website using TeXmacs is a great idea, and I fully
> > support it, but I was talking of short term changes.
>
> Well, it depends what you call short term.

A couple of weeks.

> I think that improving the Html output filter in such a way that
> it is good enough for converting our webpages is a matter of a few days.
> So this can be done shortly after the release of version 1.0.1.

I am quite unsure about that. Esp., considering that I would probably
use that occasion to introduce commodity SXML code into TeXmacs.

I had a look at it. It is quite easy to offer a half-assed SXML
implementation (that is what I am hacking with), but the full thing is
really non-trivial. I believe I have a bit of experience know in
document conversion (thought I have not studied your html conversion
code yet), and I tend to think we should be using SXSLT for most of
the logic.

Generally, the editor give a lot of freedom to the user in producing
documents with improper (or simply surprising) structure. That makes
creating robust conversion filters non-trivial. Even for regular
documents, the document/concat based structures are generally not
trivial to handle, esp. since in many case the document may contain
improper block/inline/block structure nesting without it causing
obvious problems to the user.

I am thinking to make the editor more restrictive in producing such
incorrect structures. That is not going to be easy for copy-paste
operations, but for normal input operations I believe that would not
be difficult. You could get some inspiration on that matter by using
Amaya.

> > Could you use Savannah's task manager to write out your expectations?
>
> I will do this in the future; I remember having talked about
> the menus, graphically nicer checks and better alignment,
> the presentation mode bug, and porting existing documentation
> to the new system.

Noted. I believe my agenda is full until 1.0.1, considering that I
would like to complete the personal project I am currently working and
make some test with cygwin and guile-1.6.0.

> > So there would be no disagreement about what I should do. Other meta
> > informations (priority, dates, estimated amount of work) could also be
> > very helpful.
>
> OK, I will do so for new things.

Thanks a lot.

> > And since things are not to change in the short term, the issue is
> > closed. I will update my website, and you will take the changes if you
> > like them.
>
> I would like things to change as follows:
>
>   * Redesign of the webpages in TeXmacs format.
>   * Writing a filter for conversion to Html.
>   * Writing a meta-filter for converting the whole site.
>   * Updating the web-site using the meta-filter by CVS on savannah
>     for each new release.
>   * Mirroring the web pages on www.texmacs.org
>
> This should not take too much time so it might be ready sometime
> during the winter.

Then maybe you could write it out (with afferent comments) on the task
manager...

It has a nice "task depends on task" feature. Kind of what allows you
to produce those nice GANTT charts managers are so fond of ;-)

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org