[Texmacs-dev] Re: Texmacs GUI suggestion

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Texmacs GUI suggestion
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:05:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Tim,

> I just started using your TeXmacs program, and it really is a brilliant
> piece of software --- I have been looking for something like it for a
> long time. Unfortunately, I am mainly a M$ Windows user, so it's a
> little tricky to get working.
>
> I notice that you are planning to port the GUI part to a more modern
> windowing system. May I suggest that you have a look at WxWindows
> (http://www.wxwindows.org). It is a C++ GUI library that is free,
> open-source, and platform independent (mostly, depending on what you
> use). This will allow TeXmacs to port to Windows / KDE / Gnome (even
> Mac) with very little effort since it you may bind to the platform's GUI
> during linking.
>
> I'm trying to finish my PhD at the moment, but if this approach
> interests you, I might be able to lend a hand after I submit.

Yes, we are very much interested in help with a Windows port.
Many people are asking for such a port and several people have proposed to
help with it. In order not to do the same things many times,
I have just created a page on our wiki:

        http://alqua.com/tmresources/porting%20TeXmacs%20to%20Windows

Please add your name to this page (and the same for all other people
who are willing to help). Most discussions take place on the
address@hidden mailing list in the CC, so I also recommend you to
suscribe to this list. You will also find some previous discussions
on the topic on the archives of this mailing list.

In particular, we soon plan to factor all GUI-related stuff through
a dedicated TMGUI API, which should be easier to port to other systems.
Indeed, we had a big discussion about which GUI library to use and
it is very hard to decide. My current opinion is that by creating
a very simple TMGUI API, it should become much easier to do the porting,
so we might support multiple frontends and leave the choice to
the volunteers who actually do the porting.

In any case, many thanks for your kind feedback and your proposal for help.

Best wishes, Joris