Re: [Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Double licensing or exceptional clauses
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:15:59 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, David Allouche wrote:

> Bitmaps are enough for the symbol menus.

Yes, but I do not only care about symbol menus as I said.

> > I also want to keep the possibility open to render formulas and
> > other material in the menus. Think of a menu of frequently used
> > formulas selected by the user (a wish). Also, a good GUI should
> > allow me to do this ANYWAY.
>
> Agreed. Pixmaps menu items should be enough to do this.

I don't care about *what should be enough* (especially since this is
not enough in my opinion), but about what *a modern GUI should provide*.
Can you give me one good reason why the user should not be able
to determine the paint policy of a menu item?

> And about aesthetic superiority, I recognize that antialiased CM fonts
> are nice to see, but I am absolutely not convinced that they are more
> readable (read ergonomic) than, say, Arial on Win32, Chicago on MacOS
> Classic, or Charcoal on MacOS X.

You may use ecss too. This will become part of the Settings menu.

> BTW, do not forget that all modern GUI systems already provide
> antialiased menus as a standard feature.

Yes, but I do not only care about that.

I WANT MY OWN REPAINT POLICY FOR MENU ENTRIES!
WHY SHOULD THAT BE SO FUCKING HARD?