Re: [bug #38168] support --all

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [bug #38168] support --all
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:04:05 GMT

    Thus, the man page (provided that it exists)
    is listed in the output only if the requested document was not
    found in at least one of the encountered dir files.

Ok, that explains the results, but the results don't seem like what
would be expected.  If someone wants --all, and man pages are *ever*
included, I think it'd much more logical to *always* include them
(if they exist, of course).

Whether a particular entry is present or absent in all dir files is
essentially random (and not very interesting, either).  Thus I would
suggest either explicitly doing a man page search at the end of --all
(if it hasn't already been done), or just eliminating man pages entirely
from the output.

I am probably much more familiar with Info's search algorithm than most
users, and even I was surprised at the present results.

Thanks,