Re: texinfo-4.13.90 pre-pre-test

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: texinfo-4.13.90 pre-pre-test
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:16:49 +0100

On 11/10/2012 01:36 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Thanks very much for the instant testing.  Even though BSD is *such* a
> pain :).
>
>       As for the tests, one failure in 'install-info/tests':
>         FAIL: ii-0053-test
>
> Thanks, but as I'm sure you can appreciate, I can't do much with a bare
> report of failure that doesn't happen for me.

Oh, sorry, I just assumed you had access to the NetBSD system provided
by the GCC compiler farm.

> I might be able to dig up
> a netbsd machine to debug on, but meanwhile, can you just run the test
> by hand using sh -vx and see what command it is that is failing?

  $ sh -ex ii-0053-test ; echo status = $?
  + . ./defs
  + SHELL=/bin/ksh
  + export SHELL
  + unset CDPATH
  status = 1

Ah-ah!  It's a bug of the BSD shell (shared also by the Solaris /bin/ksh
and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh shells BTW), where unsetting an already-unset
variable returns an exit status of 1 (so that the '-e' shell flag causes
the test script to abort).  It's documented in the Autoconf manual:

  <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#unset>

The fix is to use 'CDPATH=; unset CDPATH' instead (in ./defs).
With that, the test passes.

(Sorry if I don't provide a patch, but I don't want to touch CVS if I
can help it).

HTH,
  Stefano