tetum-translators

[Tetum-translators] Morris dictionary

From: Lev Lafayette
Subject: [Tetum-translators] Morris dictionary
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:58:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Peter,

Just a brief note that the Morris dictionary has been
re-edited and put into xhtml. I'm meeting with John
Sinnot from the Australia-East Timor Association to
clarify any copyright issues that might exist. I don't
think there is any, but best to make sure.

Best regards,

Lev

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:36:54 +1030, "Peter Gossner"
<address@hidden> said:

> [...]
dictionary into
> "bite size" pieces for the tetum website.. when it
occurred to me that
> the smart thing to do would be to "port" the thing
to docbook xml and
> then it could be converted to anything we wanted in
a few moments (as
> apposed to days).
> Dash and blast I was flying along as well... (must
take up drinking
> again...)
>
> I see that the licencing is GPL ..
> Does anybody have any objection to it being moved to

> a/ sgml / xml (and then converted for the web site)
> b/  re-released under the terms and conditions of
the GNU Free
> Documentation licence.????
>
> (though GPL is OK as well ..)
>
> I still hope to have this finished by the weekend..
Proofing aside the
> spell-checker and on board dictionaries seem to be
catching most things.

> I will also build a good list of Tetum words in my
own dictionary
> resources which may be useful soon.
>
> Beyond this I was thinking of writing a "little app"
that does basic
> translations Tet > Eng  and En > Tet based on the
1000 or so words Mr
> Morris has left us.
> (consol/ text based initially then adding a Gnome2 /
GTK2 inteface... I
> will investigate using the existing tools first
though)

> I don't have the Tetum skills to write a real tetum
Dictionary but I
> probably could generate a word list people could add
for spell checking
> :)
>
> If anybody has any thoughts or observations, input
now would be a good
> time. (though anytime is a good time really)
>
> my priority list goes like this:
>
> 1/port the Morris doc
> 2/convert and integrate to existing website under
the contributions /
> resources section
> 3/ build a basic word list for people to add to
their aspell / ispell
> databases.. with instructions
> 4/ Start on the "translator"/ mapper
>
> just to keep myself sharp i will also try to get a
po file done per
> week..as well.
>
> I keep getting started (on po files) then dumping
what I have done as I
> learn more. As I now have a clearer run at this I
should now make good
> progress.
>
> Pete

=====