Re: [Synaptic-devel] Download window not showing proper UTF-8 code

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Download window not showing proper UTF-8 code
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:49:37 +0300

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:12:23 +0100
Michael Vogt <address@hidden> wrote:

> > - when local package is newer or does not exist in repository, then
> > description of rpm packages retreived in current locale. but to
> > display it in Description window it should be in UTF8. I tried to
> > use iconv() for convert strings - it works. (it seems that other way
> > is to set locale with UTF8 enconding before calling functions where
> > package information retreived from rpm packages, but it didn't work
> > for me (may be I did something wrong)).
>
> Does the glib function g_locale_to_utf8() help you here?
>
> > When I complete patch - I'll send it here.
>
> Please do so.

The patch is attached, please take a look.
Thank you for tip about g_locale_to_utf8(), but, as I had implemented
conversion with iconv, I only added functionality for using
g_locale_to_utf8(). Now g_locale_to_utf8() used by default (hardcoded).
On 4100 packages it seems no big difference in speed, may be you can
compare on bigger repository.

--
Sviatoslav Sviridoff
// Lintec Project/Minsk // PIN AG/Berlin //