Re: [Synaptic-devel] Download window not showing proper UTF-8 code

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Download window not showing proper UTF-8 code
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:44:44 +0300

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:12:23 +0100
Michael Vogt <address@hidden> wrote:

> > - when local package is newer or does not exist in repository, then
> > description of rpm packages retreived in current locale. but to
> > display it in Description window it should be in UTF8. I tried to
> > use iconv() for convert strings - it works. (it seems that other way
> > is to set locale with UTF8 enconding before calling functions where
> > package information retreived from rpm packages, but it didn't work
> > for me (may be I did something wrong)).
>
> Does the glib function g_locale_to_utf8() help you here?

Yes, it should help. I didn't know about this function :)
I have almost completed with iconv, and it seems to be faster then with
g_locale_to_utf8() (less overhead, less memory allocation/deallocation),
but now I will try to use g_locale_to_utf8() - it should be more
stable...

> > When I complete patch - I'll send it here.
>
> Please do so.
>
> > But I just want know is it needed only for rpm-based systems or for
> > debian too. Does .deb packages contains localised description?
>
> No, debian does not use localised descriptions (yet). At least not in
> the offical apt (there are patches for this). So I don't have this
> problem :)

apt-rpm also does not store localized description (and I think it should
not), but rpm files does. So, for installed packages it is possible to
show localized description. And it is shown for packages, that are newer
than in repository.

--
Sviatoslav Sviridoff
// Lintec Project/Minsk // PIN AG/Berlin //