Re: [Swarm-Support] Batchmode only version

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Batchmode only version
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:36:11 -0700

Gary Polhill wrote:
How easy would it be to create a Batchmode-only version of Swarm? Such
a thing would be useful for gridding Swarm applications as presumably
all the needed software is no longer required (assuming no Java or HDF5)
apart from gcc and make, and would therefore considerably simplify the
Swarm compilation/installation process for grids. (Grid hosts tend not
to like RPMs for security reasons...)
Hmm, I think Scott Christley had basically done this for the GNUstep front end. It's not a big deal, and should really be how Swarm is packaged. All of the needed software packages for Swarm are pretty common now and easy to install as binary packages. But when faced with grid admins that have rigid ideas about what is appropriate to install and what isn't, I just build everything I want from source and then let them complain about the disk space (which should not be a problem in this age of $150 200GB SATA drives).