Re: [Swarm-Support] Mac OSX and Java

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Mac OSX and Java
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:18:32 +1000

On 30/03/2004, at 6:30 PM, Stephen Marsland wrote:
Hi. This is probably something very simple that I'm missing, but here goes. I've downloaded the rather wonderful Mac OSX Panther packages by Bill Northcott and they have installed fine. I can happily compile and run objective C programs.
However, for the java programs it is a little different.
I can compile OKusing javacswarm, but when I try and run it I get the following output:

$ javaswarm StartHeatbugs
objc: Both /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib and /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.0.dylib have implementations of class Protocol. objc: Using implementation from /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.0.dylib. objc: Both /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib and /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.0.dylib have implementations of class Object. objc: Using implementation from /usr/local/swarm2.2/lib/libswarm.0.dylib.
Version -1601961796 doesn't match runtime protocol version 2
/usr/local/swarm2.2/bin/javaswarm: line 1: 637 Abort trap APPHOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/ Libraries::/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/hdf5_1.6.1/lib:/usr/ local/png_1.2.5/lib:/usr/local/swarm2.2/lib:/usr/local/tcl8.4.5/lib:/ usr/local/tcl8.4.5 CLASSPATH='.:/usr/local/swarm2.2/share/swarm/swarm.jar:/usr/local/ swarm2.2/share/swarm/kawa.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/ JavaVM.framework/Classes/classes.jar:' /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/java 'StartHeatbugs'

Has anybody seen anything similar and solved it?

I don't think you are missing anything. I doubt very much that the Java API is usable on MacOS X.

In particular it should fail for any method where the return value is a floating point number, a single character or a short int. It might work for methods which return structures, pointers or integers.

The reason for this is buried in the guts of gcc and particularly in the builtin functions which are used by Swarm and anything that uses the forward facility of the GNU Objective-C runtime. The functions are broken on almost all RISC processors. As a result Java Swarm is broken and I trying to work out the easiest way to fix it.

Apple does not have this problem because they implement forwarding with a different mechanism in their runtime.

Bill Northcott