Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Alternative to grid based agent worlds (java exa

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Alternative to grid based agent worlds (java examples)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 05:29:52 -0700

It is not very hard to implement a spatially continuous model in swarm.  You
just need to think slightly outside the lines, so to speak.  You can
actually do it two ways.

The first is to just use a single cell.   Grid cells are nothing more than
place holders for ID's.  If you create a spatial object, you can put that
object's ID in the grid cell.  That object can have any sort of
characteristics you want, such as X and Y dimensions and a list of all the
agents in that world.  I believe you can use "object2dDisplay" to display
continuous space results.

Perhaps a better approach is to use a grid in conjunction with continuous
space.  In this case you have a "space" object for each cell that includes,
among other things, a list of all agents in that cell.  That list is defined
as all agents (of a particular type) who's X,Y coordinates actually reside
within space delineated by that cell on the spatial map.  For example, and
agent at location X=5.67 Y=20.09 would be in the list of cell[5][20].  This
has a nice advantage in that if an individual needs information about it's
neighbors, it doesn't been to search the whole system space, just the lists
of the neighboring cells.  Again, I believe that object2dDisplay allows
non-grid based displays.  I used this approach in a past swarm model that is
now translated into C++ and it works quite well.

Cheers,

D4