Re: [Swarm-Support] Java

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Java
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:37:02 -0600

I am curious as to the limitations if any of swarm and using Java APIs. To give
some outragous examples; if i was to use RMI or XML Dom in swarm, are there any
issues i should be aware of.
If there was some thread running to process RMI messages it's necessary that the thread does not attempt to call Swarm. Instead, it should queue them up in a Java list (not a native one like swarm.collections.ListImpl), and the Swarm thread can later process them. Same goes for GUI stuff or any other multithreaded situations. I've used the Java DOM implementation with Swarm before without problems, but it was a few years ago. You could run in to problems if you use `async' tree loads, due to Swarm re-entrancy problems as above.

I did try to read XML into a DOM object and the swarm app hung - to be more
precise, i called a class that handled the XML which caused problems. I called
the same class from a non-swarm app and there were no problems.

Do you have a test case that demonstrates this?