Re: [Swarm-Support] OS X and libtool 1.5

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] OS X and libtool 1.5
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:06:53 +1000

> >collections.xm:9: warning: address@hidden' must appear in an implementation
context
> >collections.xm:10: warning: address@hidden' must appear in an implementation
context
> >collections.xm:11: error: parse error before '@' token
> >collections.xm:14: fatal error: method definition not in class context
> >compilation terminated.
> It seems that the sed program is old.
> Please tell me what version of sed you have in youe system.
> (at prompt, type
> sed --v
> )
> I suggest you to compile sed 3.12 you can find on gnu ftp web site,
> then compile again Swarm.

It is not the age of the sed, but the version that matters.  Libtool needs
GNU sed whereas the one in MacOS X is the BSD one.  These are not
compatable.  Indeed 'sed --v' does not work on BSD sed!
Even if it did, Swarm is not necessarily using the default sed.  At
configure time it will look for a tool called sed or gsed that is GNU
compatable.

There is a compiled GNU sed v4.05 in a MacOS X package on the Swarm web
site.

If you are using libtool 1.5, it also possible that you have a suitable
sed but are not finding it at the configure stage.

I plan to update the packages for libtool 1.5 and possibly even Java over
the next few weeks.

Bill Northcott