Re: [Swarm-Support] Linux memory

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Linux memory
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:58:12 +1100 (EST)

Yes, of course. The relevant commands are swapon and swapoff for
adding and removing swap files. Use mkswap to make a swap file. Read
the relevant man pages to find out how to use these. swapon and
swapoff need to be executed as root.

Having said that, increasing your swap probably will not help
you. Relying on paging to solve problems larger than physical RAM
tends to be woefully inefficient - recasting your problem using an
appropriate "out of core" algorithm will most like yield far better
performance.

                                                Cheers