MacOS X port News

From: W . Northcott
Subject: MacOS X port News
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:29:26 +1000

A quick update on a couple of items.

As mentioned before, gcc3.3 is available from the Apple opensource cvs. It
looks like this will the gcc3 compiler for the next Dev tools release.
Currently I have problems getting PB to use it.

Aqua Tcl/Tk was included in the release version of tcl/tk 8.4.0. Currently
there seems seems to much work in progress on it for inclusion in the
8.4.1 release.  Much of the discussion centres on the needs of packages
which use Tcl/Tk.  This is very good news.

The latest version BLT from the soureforge cvs says it supports Tcl/Tk
8.4.  It also has some MacOS X changes in it.

The bottom line is that we may have a workable MacOS X tcl/tk/BLT
available in the next few weeks which does not require X-windows and
suports MacOS X cut and paste and other AppKit services, and as a final
bonus is a 'drag and drop' install.  I am trying to test this, but have
one small problem in the final stage of the tcl build. Al the libraries
appear to be built but there is a script error in the final assembly of
the Framework.

If I can get the frameworks to build, I will put a recipe up on Savannah
and possibly binaries.

Bill Northcott