Re: Swarm Help

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm Help
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:23:07 -0500

Dear Ann:

Please consider joining the Swarm Development group and posting future messages like this to swarm-support. I'm emailing this message to swarm-support.

I have not seen the problem you describe, and I'm wondering what might have gone wrong. I suspect it is a problem in your hardware or kernal. Do you know if you can compile and run any programs--not Swarm programs--on your system?

When I have problems like yours, I go to this site: http://www.dejanews.com

and I type in the exact words of the error message. Reading in there with the search term

linux "illegal instruction"

makes me think you have installed the wrong linux kernel for your hardware. That is, you have a pentium I but you have installed i686 kernel or something.

Ann Rensel wrote:
Dr. Johnson,

I'm a very new swarm user as I'm being included in a project with the
University at Buffalo School of Management OHR and MSS/MIS departments....
and I'm really stuck here.

I installed Linux 7.3 on an older Gateway system, included all of the
applications which are recommended on your site as well as the Swarm site
[tcl/tk, gdb, XFree86, blt, and so forth]- basically I followed the
directions in your FAQs, section 2.5.  I used the binary files you provided
on your site:
gcc3-3.0.4-2pj.i386.rpm
gcc3-objc-3.0.4-2pj.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.0.4-2pj.i386.rpm
hdf5-1.4.3-1RH73.i386.rpm
swarm-2.1.140.20020514-1.i386.rpm

I used the rpm tool, and everything seemed to build correctly.  No errors,
no dependencies problems.  Next, I tried to install the example applications
from the swarm site.  I put them in /home/adrensel/swarm  on my system, and
used make to compile heatbugs and mousetrap and the compilation occured with
no errors. When I go to run heatbugs I issue the command
./heatbugs
it seems to start executing [there is a pause and the hard drive runs for a
bit] and then I get the response:  Illegal instruction.

Is there any way you could give me a hint or idea about how to pursue
finding the problem here?  I've reinstalled the complete O/S, and everything
else 3 times and I'm still having this problem.

Thanks for the help.  Your Swarm site is excellent, I was invaluable to me
in getting this far.

Ann Rensel
PhD Student, Management Systems and Sciences
SUNY at Buffalo, School of Management
339 Jacobs Management Center
Buffalo, NY

716-731-2585