trying for millions

From: James Muguira
Subject: trying for millions
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:24:18 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to get millions of entities running around inside of a swarm simulation. I've been able to get 800K on a 0'th order try on simple hardware and I'm now designing for a small cluster of pc's. Next is a full Beowulf setup with many pc's.

The behavior of each of the entities is very simple now. I'm going to use a subsumption approach to creating behavior once I reach a sufficient entity count to system load ratio. Think multiple colonies of ants...

suggestions?

What Have I thought of:
1. the play field has to be huge(magic) to display a lot of bugs.
2. I have both a real time view and data base persistent view of the play field (2d going to 3d) 3. need to explore distributing both the display and db functions across the cluster for speed. 4. use cluster nodes to generate and maintain entities (like a 1000 entities per cluster node, for example)

any help would be greatly appreciated...

JAM