Assertion failed: __objc_class_hash with Swarm 2.2 snapshot

From: Vidrine II,C. Kent
Subject: Assertion failed: __objc_class_hash with Swarm 2.2 snapshot
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:34:54 -0400

Please help me correct this error...

I recently downloaded, compiled, and installed the Swarm 2.2 development
snapshot (swarm-2002-05-14.tar.gz) from
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing/. My environment is Solaris 8, gcc
3.0.2, with Sun's JDK 1.3.1_01. With the Java program that I've been using,
I get the following runtime error before any windows pop up:

Assertion failed: __objc_class_hash, file class.c, line 130
./newswarm.sh[25]: 19593 Abort(coredump)

FYI, newswarm.sh is the script that I use to set the PATH, CLASSPATH, and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables. Also, the program that I'm running is a vanilla
JHeatBugs version that does nothing fancy. The program runs fine with Swarm
2.1.1.

When I look at the file class.c, on line 130, the assertion that fails is
this:

  /* Make sure the class hash table exists.  */
  assert (__objc_class_hash);

It appears that this variable should be initialized on line 53 of class.c,
so my guess is that either the initialization is failing or the
initialization function "void __objc_init_class_tables()" is not getting
called.

What should I be looking for? How should I go about fixing this problem?

Environment summary:

Swarm 2.2 snapshot 2002-05-14
Solaris 8
gcc 3.0.2