Re: Linux Red Hat 7.3 error

From: Geoff Wright
Subject: Re: Linux Red Hat 7.3 error
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:56:21 -0400

Trushar,

Take this for what it's worth. I am a newbie as well and I don't want to step
on any toes as Paul (and others) are really great about answering questions.
I am just offering a suggestion and you should double-check with Paul before
going ahead with this. [note to Paul and other gurus: If this is bad advice,
sorry but I am just trying to help, so correct me firmly but politely!]

1. the code that is available under swarmapps2.1.1/ is objective C code.  If
you are trying to learn Swarm java, then you should be using the link that
Luis advertised the other day
http://eco83.econ.unito.it/swarm/materiale/jtutorial/

2. As Paul mentioned it seems that there is something wrong with the way that
gcc3 is being employed. (and you have not installed the latest swarm)

your code:
 address@hidden heatbugs]# make
> gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Werror  -D_GNU_SOURCE -
> DAPPNAME=heatbugs -DAPPVERSION=2.1.1 -DBUGADDRESS=bug-
> address@hidden   -I/usr/local/include Heatbug.m

my code:
address@hidden simpleSwarmBug]$ make
gcc3 -c -g -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 ....

notice that you are usig 'gcc' to compile whereas I am using 'gcc3'.

Now, this is where I am a little unsure...in /usr/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl (you
refer to "so in the tutorials
heatbugs makefile I have changed the path as it was not finding the path
straight on so got the file I need to compile in
usr/local/swarm.../malefile.appl").  Well, in that same directory there is a
file called config.swarm. Look at it.  (If you still can't find it:
type: "find / -name config.swarm -print" no quotes) Yours probably looks like:

address@hidden swarm]$ more config.swarm
## Config file for applications - this is processed by `configure'
## at `installation-time' to generate a Swarm configuration file.
CC="gcc"
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
OBJC="gcc"
..
..

whereas mine looks like:
address@hidden swarm]$ more config.swarm
## Config file for applications - this is processed by `configure'
## at `installation-time' to generate a Swarm configuration file.
CC="gcc3"
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
OBJC="gcc3"

notice the difference in 'gcc' and 'gcc3'.  Well, anyways, I think that that
is at the root of your problem.  This change is made with the latest install
of the RPMS.

WHERE ARE THE LATEST RPMS?

>From Paul's post of March 21 (I can forward you the email if you weren't on
the list then).

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/hdf5-1.4.3-1RH73.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/swarm-2.1.140.20020514-1.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/swarm-gcjswarm-2.1.140.20020514-1.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/swarm-static-2.1.140.20020514-1.i386.rpm

This assumes you have the current Sun java offerings installed in
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0.
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/swarm-jdk-2.1.140.20020514-1.i386.rpm

I hope that this helps.
If I wasn't clear about something let me know and I will try to be more
precise.

Take care,
geoff