Q: confusion about random generators

From: Isis GIRALDO
Subject: Q: confusion about random generators
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:42:27 +0200

Hi there,

I have been checking the mailing list archive and found some mails about
seeds and random generation. I found one  dated 1997  which about the
"danger" of using the UniformInteger and the other random number
distributions. Obviously I have done my program without this valuable
knowledge  and now I'm panicking!! I'm working with the version 2.1.1 of
swarm and have now a big confusion about how to generate then random
numbers and about the problem of declaring many generators in an app.
I'm trying now to use the the java Random class, but as java doesn't
allow global variables I'm struggling to find out how to use the same
random generator in all my classes and give the seed as an argument at
running the program. So my questions are these two:
1. What is the right way of doing this?
2. how can I change my seed to run different simulations?

thanks a lot for any help,

Isis