Re: Creating output files in java

From: Olivier Jauze
Subject: Re: Creating output files in java
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:39:39 +0200

At 16:25 27/07/01 +0200, you wrote:
hi there,

I'm usig swarm with java and need to create an output file with data
from the agents. Initially I tryed to use the EZGraph to create the
sequence but it only allows to write a value on the file by time step. I
need my file to have some information of every agent for every step in
the simulation.
what can I do?

Many thanks and sorry for the ingorance,

Isis

Hi,
I have had exaclty the same issue and this is my solution (someone must have a better solution but If it can help you ):

I created this class  :

import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.BufferedOutputStream;
import java.io.DataOutputStream;

public class FileOutput
{
  protected FileWriter       fW;

  public FileOutput( String nameFile)
  {
     try
     {
        fW = new FileWriter(nameFile);
     }
     catch (IOException e)
     {
        System.out.println(e.getMessage());

   protected void writeLine( String lineIn )
   {
     try
     {
        fW.write(lineIn + "\n");
     }
     catch (IOException e)
     {
        System.out.println(e.getMessage());

   protected void close()
   {
     try
     {
        fW.close();
     }
     catch (IOException e)
     {
        System.out.println(e.getMessage());

then when I have to write a line in a file I do this:

I declare an instance of this class :

FileOutput fileWorld = new FileOutput("helloWorld.txt");

and I use the java class String to convert data in a string

int year  = 2001;
fileWorld .writeLine("Hello world, it is the year " + String.valueOf(year));

Don't forget to close the file, if you do not the file will not contain anything.

fileWorld .close();

Now you just have to write line at every time step and you obtain the effect you want.

Here, it is my way to write in a file. I don't think it is the most simple solution but it works.
Have a good day.
Olivier JAUZE
INRA unité URH équipe SP
Centre de Theix