Re: Kaffe or Java?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Kaffe or Java?
Date: 18 Jul 2001 13:24:38 -0600

WS> If you want to use the Sun jdk with Swarm, is it possible
WS> to remove all (any?) references to Kaffe?  If so, what does that
WS> involve (e.g., deleting all Kaffe-flavored sub-directories)?

There isn't anything interwined with Swarm w.r.t. to Kaffe, but I
suspect your intent is to run with minimal dependencies from the Swarm
development kit, i.e. all the Unix development stuff.  The dependencies
for javaswarm.dll can be seen using:

$ objdump --all-headers /Swarm-2.1.1/bin/javaswarm.dll | grep 'DLL Name:'

They are cygwin1.dll, BLT24.dll, cygtcl80.dll, and cygtk80.dll.  These
files can also be found in /Swarm-2.1.1/bin.  The other DLL
dependencies are a part of Windows.

javaswarm.dll is for Sun JDK and libkaffeswarm.dll is for Kaffe.  The
difference is due to a fairly minor variation in the way Jave Native Interface
is implemented.  javaswarm.dll and libkaffeswarm.dll are independent.

Also, you'll need the associated directories (by name) in /Swarm-2.1.1/share:
tcl8.0/, tk8.0/, blt2.4/, and swarm/.

It must be /Swarm-2.1.1/share, too.  That's not as big as a problem as
you might think because you can `mount' /Swarm-2.1.1 to be any path
you want.

WS> Also, is it possible to use Sun's Swing or AWT classes with Swarm
WS> to create GUIs?

Yes.  The only thing is that you have to be careful not to have
callbacks into Swarm from widgets.  Swarm isn't thread safe.  This
also is not a huge problem to code around if you think about it.  All
that is needed is an ordinary Java object to accept instructions
from Swing things, which Swarm can then picks up when it is ready.  By
"Swarm" I mean any feature from Swarm in the "swarm" Java package.