Re: RPMS (was Re: further performance improvements

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: RPMS (was Re: further performance improvements
Date: 15 Jul 2001 14:37:33 -0600

PJ> Hey, Marcus: I wonder why is it you are able to distribute
PJ> windows binaries that are compiled with gcc-3.0 without causing
PJ> all the Windows users to upgrade gcc?  If I disabled shared libs
PJ> in the gcc-3.0 build, would I be able to do the same?

I'm not using GCC 3.0.  The DLLs don't benefit from GCJ, better code
generation, or even pre-dispatched methods in the JNI stubs.  (There
are new places inside Swarm where methodFor: IMPs are cached, though.)
These things make significant improvements, but nothing like removing
the lookups.

It would be great if someone would take you up on your plea to help
modernize the Windows toolchain for Swarm.  Windows uses a totally
different model for shared libraries, and the new libgcc shared
library system on Unix shouldn't interefere with the way Windows does
things..