RPMS (was Re: further performance improvements

From: pauljohn
Subject: RPMS (was Re: further performance improvements
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:01:36 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> Source code:
>
>   ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing/swarm-2001-07-14.tar.gz

Holy cow!  Where recently I had numbers in the 40s range, look
here:

$ export SWARMHOME=/usr
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/swarm/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ CLASSPATH=/usr/share/swarm/swarm.jar:$CLASSPATH gcj -O2 -g
--main=StartHeatbugs -o model *.java /usr/lib/swarm/gcjswarm.so
$ ./model
address@hidden jheatbugs-2001-03-28]$ time ./model -b
You typed `heatbugs -b' or  `heatbugs --batch' so we're running
without graphics.
Heatbugs is running for 300 timesteps
It is logging data every 1 timesteps to: unhappiness.output
quitting at 300

real    0m12.389s
user    0m11.220s
sys     0m0.090s

Way to go, Marcus!

And, since we know there are some algorithmic improvements
inside jheatbugs that can cut its time significantly more, we
are in danger of making it run TOO FAST for the eye to see it!
(well, kinda).  Awesome.

RPMs available here:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-2.1.88.20010714-1.i686.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-gcjswarm-2.1.88.20010714-1.i686.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/i686/swarm-jdk-2.1.88.20010714-1.i686.rpm

These are compiled with the patched gcc-3.0 (according to
Marcus's instruction, of course) which I'm also making
available, and you wont be able to install these rpms without
installing gcc-3 as well. There is a little writeup here about
it:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7

You can persuse the spec file if you want:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/swarm-jdk-2.1.88.spec

Or take a copy of the SRPM file and try to roll your own:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/swarm-2.1.88.20010714-1.src.rpm

Because I built these with the patched gcc, I took all steps
previously discussed to optimize the swarm code itself. In
particular, that means the CPP flag:
 EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS
And the "interface patch":

*** interface.el-original       Sun Jul  8 19:22:33 2001
--- interface.el        Sun Jul  8 19:22:56 2001
***************
*** 625,631 ****

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     ;(load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)
--- 625,631 ----

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     (load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)

> Windows binaries:
>
>   ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest/javaswarm.dll.gz
>                                                     libkaffeswarm.dll.gz

Hey, Marcus: I wonder why is it you are able to distribute
windows binaries that are compiled with gcc-3.0 without causing
all the Windows users to upgrade gcc?  If I disabled shared libs
in the gcc-3.0 build, would I be able to do the same?

Dept. of Political Science
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn