GCC3.0, swarm-2.1.84.20010706 RPMs available

From: pauljohn
Subject: GCC3.0, swarm-2.1.84.20010706 RPMs available
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:34:13 -0500

I've got the new gcc compiled with Marcus's patches, and guess what: no
more gcc warnings when you compile swarm programs! sweet.

I made RPMs of gcc for i386 and i686 machines.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/software/gcc-upgrades/3.0/i386
and
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/software/gcc-upgrades/3.0/i686

These install into /usr/local/bin. If you use rpm -Uvh * they will
replace your current gcc, but if you use -ivh they will be installed IN
ADDITION to your current gcc.  Then you need to do two things. First,
put /usr/local/bin in your path ahead of /usr/bin. Second, make sure
/usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf and then rerun /sbin/ldconfig.

Now, concerning the Swarm RPMS: the edition number is 2.1.84.20010706.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7/

I did not yet update the README on that site. Look in the i686
directory. Now we have:
 1 pauljohn pauljohn  2390920 Jul  8 19:48
swarm-2.1.84.20010706-1.i686.rpm*
 1 pauljohn pauljohn   860304 Jul  8 19:48
swarm-gcjswarm-2.1.84.20010706-1.i686.rpm*
 1 pauljohn pauljohn  1703864 Jul  8 19:49
swarm-jdk-2.1.84.20010706-1.i686.rpm*
 1 pauljohn pauljohn  4957137 Jul  8 19:49
swarm-static-2.1.84.20010706-1.i686.rpm*

For sure you need swarm. Java support is in swarm-jdk. That will build
apps into bytecode that runs in the Sun java virtual machine, which I
assume you have in /usr/local/jdk1.3. The swarm-gcjswarm is the library
required if you want to compile stuff with gcj from java into native
code.  swarm-static is something most people don't need.

I have tried to build the swarm rpms so that you need not upgrade your
gcc in order to compile program.  I have no idea if this will succeed,
but lets try.  I used the LD flag that forces gcc to use static gcclib
to build swarm, and so it does not use the gcc shared library (that's a
newish gcc thing).  I don't have any "plain old" redhat systems on which
to test this anymore, but I wish somebody would check to see if these
swarm rpms will install and applications will compile. This will
certainly not work iwith applications you compile with gcj, but possibly
it will work with objective-C and regular old java programs.  If they
don't work, you have to install the new gcc rpms.

In building these RPMS, I've optimize according to the emails Marcus
Daniels posted on July 07, 2001. i.e., using the new patched gcc,
compile swarm with the EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS, and the small
path to interface.el.

I've tested these rpms and I've run an objective c program, a java
program, and built one with gcj.  All are OK, as far as I can see.

And the good news is that the plain old heatbugs in java runs about 20%
faster with this new setup:

$export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/:/usr/lib/swarm
$CLASSPATH=/usr/share/swarm/swarm.jar gcj -O2 -g --main=StartHeatbugs -o
model *.java /usr/lib/swarm/gcjswarm.so
$ time ./model -b
You typed `heatbugs -b' or  `heatbugs --batch' so we're running without
graphics.
Heatbugs is running for 300 timesteps
It is logging data every 1 timesteps to: unhappiness.output
quitting at 300

real    0m30.275s
user    0m28.990s
sys     0m0.030s