segmentation fault

From: Marcello Gallucci
Subject: segmentation fault
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 04:23:40 GMT

Hello

after one year of swarming and fun, I eventually entered the
programmer's nightmare: segmentation fault.

It happened before, of course, but this time it's pretty though. I get
a segmentation fault only if a series of actions take places, a series
that is far to complex to me to trace down. Any debugging strategy I
used did not work. My question here is: How would you approach a code
that produces a segmentation fault? I know it is a very vague
question, the answer is specific to the code, and there are many
reasons why segmentation fault occurs. My question is more about
debugging tools. Does anybody have a general approach in mind, like a
heuristic, a debugging tool, some miracle-making gear to face the
segmentation fault problem?

I'm sorry for the weird question, but my night sleep is getting more
and more segmented and faulty:-)

thanks
marcello

P.S.
I operate on Linux mandrake 7. swarm2.1.1