Re: Building Swarm under Cygnus. no good.

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Building Swarm under Cygnus. no good.
Date: 01 Jul 2001 14:30:35 -0600

PJ> configure with no special options warns me that it the cygwin
PJ> platform won't support target-libjava or target-libffi. Does that
PJ> mean gcj will not work, no matter what I do? IT is compiling, I'll
PJ> know in an hour or two if it works.

It will skip the runtime support for GCJ and libffi.  So you won't be
able to do anything with GCJ.  I recall a discussion on the GCC list
about a release policy to only enable libjava on platforms where it was
known to work (as opposed to disabling it on platforms where it was known
to fail).  It takes a long time to build so failures are particuarly annoying.

PJ> Suppose I step back for a minute and say, "I can get the gcc from
PJ> the cygnus people, 2.95.3, how can I compile just the gcc-objc
PJ> part they left out?"  DO you know the answer for that?  If I could
PJ> pass out a tar.gz with the required files...

I don't remember any problems building 2.95.3.  Since cc1obj links against
a lot of common code in GCC, you need to do a whole build.

PJ> I noticed that one other thing about tcl/tk you mentioned about
PJ> Cygnus.  When swarm runs its configure, it warns that the release
PJ> number in the headers is 8.0.4 but in the library it is 8.0.2p,
PJ> "not a good thing".  That is a signal that the binary stuff they
PJ> distribute does not come from the headers they distribute, right?

It's a loose end, but I think a harmless one.  (I assume you are talking
about the Cygwin source tarball.)

PJ> But inside Emacs 20.7, the shell is just about unusable.  If you
PJ> have any idea why this might happen, please let me know (I have
PJ> winNT4 service pack 5).

Hmm, no, I think that's worked ok for me for quite a while.  I'd try
the latest Cygwin DLLs.  Something might turn up from a mailing list
search, too.