Is no windows user willing to volunteer to be a package maintainer? (was

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Is no windows user willing to volunteer to be a package maintainer? (was cygwin etc
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:16:42 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> There are some good reasons to know more about building Swarm with
> PJ> current cygnus. For example, currrent cygnus has a working ssh and
> PJ> working vi, which are a big plus for me.
>
> The important thing is that someone has made the source code for these
> packages compile and work.  On my laptop (under Windows) I have ssh
> working fine, as built from the Swarm 2.1.1 distribution.
>
> Swarm includes a from-source build of many GNU packages because
> collectively, the `Cygwin distribution' is not a product that has been
> tested end-to-end.  They tried to do that for a while, decided it was
> too much work, and instead setup this RPM-like system.

Last year I was calling your package MarcusWin32 and it does work very
well.   I don't mean to say otherwise.

> My feeling was that most Windows users of Swarm would not be prepared
> to cope with that.  As for `power users', well, they're power users
> after all..

I totally agree with your sentiments on cygwin. I've been very frustrated
because their package installation procedure does not check
prerequisites, and when I try to install just their ssh, then it won't
work because I'm missing a dll, and I have to go guessing about what dll
might be missing.

Power users have to be told what to do sometimes too.

If we had a windows user who was willing to volunteer to take this over,
it would be great.  It seems to me there probably is somebody who would
do it if we asked, but we don't know who to ask. So I'm asking anybody
now. Step up to the plate!  Invest some effort.

I'm not a Windows user by nature, and I don't have the time/desire to do
the package maintenance.  But I hope someone will, I expect we will all
be glad to give whatever advice is needed to help somebody get up to
speed on assembling the package.

In the alternative, I expect what Windows users will get in the long run
is a set of (possibly hard to understand) instructions (possibly from
me)  about how to compile swarm releases against Cygwin.

pj