Re: [ravi madipadaga <address@hidden>] regarding swarm

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: [ravi madipadaga <address@hidden>] regarding swarm
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:54:39 -0600

Dear Ravi

We currently have more explicit how-to instructions for Swarm in
Objective-C. I'd suggest you take a look at the Swarm User Guide to get
an idea of the frame work.

I'm gathering from your comments that you have not programmed before,
and there are some comments for people like you that I've just added in
the SwarmFaq.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#7

I outline a few explicit steps people can follow if they are brand new
to programming and swarm. You should try to run the swarmapps in
objective c, in my opinion, just to see what's up.

On the java side, there are code packages for jheatbugs and jmousetrap
on the SDG site, and there is also a java tutorial that Marcus Daniels
prepared. It has a source code pacakge with it called SDG.  I learned a
lot
from the contributed application jipd, which you can find in the anarchy
subdirectory.

The SwarmFaq has a directory of small working code examples, you can
check those out.

The comments in the Swarm for Windows part of the FAQ are still valid.
Seriously consider learning Emacs as the editor, Marcus has solved
several problems with users by having them run their programs inside the
Emacs shell, rather than the "swarm terminal" program.

Charles Staelin was/did a Java version of the Swarm tutorial, and it is
not quite finalized, but perhaps it will be available soon.