Here's how to make a virtually untraceable bug! Watch out.

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Here's how to make a virtually untraceable bug! Watch out.
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 12:23:30 -0600

I had an IVAR listed in the scheme file and in the header file of a
class.  The object was created by listAppArchiver, no trouble,
everything checked out.  Then I edited the header file and removed one
variable, but forgot to remove it from the .scm file.  WHenever the
program ran, it crashed, when it tried to access the object created by
lispAppArchiver, and nonsense values were showing up in the object in
gdb's print output.

After a long time, I found the extra variable in the .scm file, got rid
of it, and the program runs again.  The galling part is that the extra
variable was not even one for a class that was being instantiated in
that run of the model. It was in the batchSwarm section, and I was
running guiSwarm, but since the variable was deleted in model swarm, the
problem happened just the same.

I wish it didn't do this :)

If you think I'm mistaken in my diagnosis of the problem, I'd be glad to
hear.