Re: VarProbe.m 2001-02-02 snapshot

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: VarProbe.m 2001-02-02 snapshot
Date: 02 Feb 2001 17:20:05 -0800

WN> My style is a little cramped because I am working over a 33k phone
WN> connection (and you thought ISDN was slow!)

(..and my family couldn't afford to buy jackets for us kids, but we
 walked 10 miles to school in the snow, anyway..)

Woo hoo!  X11 over modems!  My favorite!  Yeah, well I once ported a
Common Lisp system to a Convex in Austria, over university dialup and
its 56k internet connection where every keystroke was a five second
delay across the pond and back.  I had to figure out user/kernel
virtual memory layout, register usage, call frame layout, and signal
handling idiosyncrasies by writing test programs in a line editor
using a weird proprietary C compiler.