Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Speed decrease between 2.0 and 2.1?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:16:10 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> Is there a speed decrease between Swarm 2.0 and 2.1?  I recently
> installed SuSE 6.4 on a PII 233 notebook and found that my models,
> recompiled on that platform (using the SuSE 6.3 rpm's), ran
> significantly slower than on a PI 166 under RedHat 6.0.  (I've made
> sure that the APM is not crippling the speed of the machine.)
I wonder if perhaps before you were using RPMs that I compiled with 686
optimizations whereas you now have installed versions for i386?  You
need the special compiler flags to get that optimization.

I feel sure your question is mistaken, however, as I've done quite a bit
of comparison and, as best I can tell, most swarm programs work about
20% faster in version 2.1.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn