Emacs and ls

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Emacs and ls
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:24:47 -0500

Dear Marcus.

In the Emacs groups, I hear there is no solution for this. Is it true?

On Unix, I can avoid the following problems by using ansi-term instead
of shell inside Emacs.
In Windows, there is no comparable solution.

Here is the problem:

I have color coded ls set in my environment.  WHen I do ls in Emacs's
shell, I get ugly stuff like this:
Calculator.o               Makefile~
ObserverSwarm.m  core
ChangeLog                  Market.h
ObserverSwarm.o  main.m
Competition.h              Market.m
Parameters.h     main.o
Competition.m              Market.o
Parameters.m

My prompt, which also has color coding, looks terrible in Emacs shell:

]0;<pauljohn>:
/tmp/benedikt/comp-current(ddress@hidden;32m)-(06:19pm
Thu Apr 20)-(comp-current)
$

ansi-term solves this, but only in Unix. It does not exist in Windows
Emacs

Furthermore, I don't understand why the default Swarm setup does not
cause this problem in the shell too because it has color=auto.