setWindowGeometryRecordName and other follies

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: setWindowGeometryRecordName and other follies
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:50:18 -0500

1. A student turned this one up:

if you do
 mktCommByFirmGraph =
    [EZGraph create: self
             setTitle: "Avg Market Commonality by Firm"
             setAxisLabelsX: "Time" Y: "Avg Market Commonality By Firm"
             setWindowGeometryRecordName: "market Commonality by Firm
Graph"];

you get a crash next time you run your program because the geometry
record name has spaces and the .swarmArchiver can't be processed with
them.

2. Did you know that if you forget to do enableDestroyNotification, as
in:

 [mktCommByFirmGraph enableDestroyNotification: self
             notificationMethod: @selector
(_mktCommByFirmGraphDeath_:)];

Then your program causes a seg violation in windows every time you quit.
But on a Unix system, there
is no crash. Interesting!  I should have known the
enableDestroynotificaiton was linked to windows because as far as I can
remember it popped up in heatbugs around Swarm-1.3...

3.  On a  Windows 98 computer, the student who unearthed #1 says the
save button does not dependably save window positions.  If one is
running simple observer bug, for example, he says the positions are not
coming back the exact same way he places them.  I myself have noticed
some inconsistency on my win95 machine, but never bothered to track it
down.  Now I'm willing to try to figure what is wrong, if you can give
me a pointer about how to attack it.  I'm looking at an example of
.swarmArchiver, on my Unix system where this always works!, and I see
something like this for each window:

   (cons 'ProbeDisplay-arguments
           (make-instance 'WindowGeometryRecord #:position '(484 13)))

The position shows the top left corner's position, correct?  SO my first
task is to find out under what conditions these numbers are saved as
intended.