Re: ABM toolkits

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: ABM toolkits
Date: 14 Apr 2000 19:46:26 -0700

RS> This is used in Sather and (I think) kaffe.

RS> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

RS> I'm not volunteering!

I think I suggested this a long time ago, but decided not to
continue advocating it because I didn't want to discourage folks
from reporting potential memory leaks in Swarm.

libobjc has hooks for garbage collection, in fact.  I think dropping
in that code just as a malloc replacement could be done with a few
Makefile changes in the misc modules.  This would be for those folks
that have big models and *need* a memory leak to go away fast.

Perhaps the ideal thing would be a Zone that had a garbage collection
mode.  That might end up being easiest to implement from scratch, but
it could be Boehm has enough hooks to make it easier to integrate than
do from scratch.