Re: Swarm likes D: on Win98

From: Murat Yildizoglu
Subject: Re: Swarm likes D: on Win98
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:43:10 +0100

I have first installed cygwin 32 on d:\cygwin, restarted my computer
and installed swarm in d:\swarm. Checked the environment variables
and the path in autoexec.bat. This was all to do and it had worked
without any problem. All these have been fixed by the installation
programs.

My autoexec shows:

PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS;D:\SWARM\BIN;D:\CYGNUS\CYGWIN~1
\H-I586~1\BIN

SET HOME=d:\swarm
SET SWARMHOME=//d/swarm/
SET MAKE_MODE=unix
SET SWARMROOT=//d/swarm
SET address@hidden $
SET CYGFS=//d/cygnus/cygwin-b20/
SET CYGROOT=d:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\

This works without any problem.

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Murat Yildizoglu wrote:
>
> > I use Win98 and have been able to succesfully install cygwin and
> > Swarm on my D drive. It has never complained and the installation
> > has automatically fixed everything necessary. So, I think this point
> > of the FAQ does not apply to win98. Maybe it only applies to NT?
>
> As you know, the statements in the FAQ reflect my experience. If you
> look at the way the FAQ is written, it takes a conservative stance.
> It says that I had a lot of trouble with earlier versions of swarm and
> installation on D:, so I don't even try anymore.  From reports of some
> users like you, I have become convinced that non-C:\ installations
> work most of the time with the newest swarm.  But, just when I think
> it is safe to change the FAQ, then somebody crops up with a non-C:\
> install that does not work.
>
> One corrollary problem seems to be that when people install cygnus in
> a nondefault place, they somehow foul up the swarm install.  I have no
> clue how they get that wrong, but it happened to two students just
> last week.
>
> PJ
> lot my sig again

Murat Yildizoglu