Re: Heatbug.java question

From: David Smith
Subject: Re: Heatbug.java question
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:01:29 -0700 (MST)

On 13 Jan 2000, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> DS> I took a hack at converting the findExtremeType method to return a
> DS> HeatCell, then using the returned cell's coordinates. But it
> DS> crashes after 9 steps with a null pointer exception. I don't know
> DS> why.
>
> The best way to get clarification is to run
> "diff -c Heatbug.java.original Heatbug.java" and post the output.
> Then we have something concrete to talk about.
>
>                   ==================================

OK, here are the diffs:

from directory myheatbugs:
>diff ../jheatbugs/HeatBug.java HeatBug.java

55c55
<
---

60c60
<
---

93c93
<   public Object setIdealTemperature (long i) {
---
>   public void setIdealTemperature (long i) {
95c95
<     return this;
---
>   //  return this;
98c98
<   public Object setOutputHeat (long o) {
---
>   public void setOutputHeat (long o) {
100c100
<     return this;
---
>   //  return this;
103c103
<   public Object setRandomMoveProbability (double p) {
---
>   public void setRandomMoveProbability (double p) {
105c105
<     return this;
---
>    // return this;
117c117
<   public Object setX$Y (int inX, int inY) {
---
>   public void setX$Y (int inX, int inY) {
121c121
<     return this;
---
>    // return this;
156c156
<       heat.findExtremeType$X$Y (((heatHere < idealTemperature)
---
>       HeatCell idealCell = heat.findExtremeType$X$Y (((heatHere <
> idealTemperature)
160,161c160,161
<       newX = heatCell.x;
<       newY = heatCell.y;
---
>       newX = idealCell.x;
>       newY = idealCell.y;

AND

from directory myheatbugs:
>diff ../jheatbugs/HeatCell.java HeatCell.java

64c64
<     public long findExtremeType$X$Y (int type, HeatCell hc)
---
>     public HeatCell findExtremeType$X$Y (int type, HeatCell hc)
126,131c126,128
<         // Now we've found the requested extreme. Arrange to return the
<         // information (normalize coordinates), and return the heat we found.
<
<         hc.setX ((bestCell.getX() + getSizeX()) % getSizeX());
<         hc.setY ((bestCell.getY() + getSizeY()) % getSizeY());
<
---
>         // Now we've found the requested extreme, return the heat we found.
>         // Just return bestCell.

135c132
<         return getValueAtX$Y (hc.getX(), hc.getY());
---