Re: windows

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: windows
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:56:06 -0600

Juan A Rodriguez wrote:

> Can a windows version be built from the source as well?
> Thanks.
>
> juan

Marcus sent me this note October 6, 1999.
I'm going to add it to the SwarmFaq unless I hear it is no longer valid.
THis assumes you understand the Unix build, I think it is fair to say.

PJ> I've always wondered how the windows thing gets built.

It's the same as a Unix build.¹

PJ> You have to work with the Swarm binaries as provided and they use
the Kaffe
PJ> JDK that is distributed with cygnus.

Actually Kaffe is not distributed with Cygnus B20, we provide a custom
build in the Swarm InstallShield package.  The reason we distribute
Kaffe is because its license is compatible with Swarm's.

PJ> Incidentally, I know that on Unix Swarm can compile with Kaffe,
PJ> the Blackdown port of SunJDK, and the IBM JDK.  I do not know if
PJ> it can compile with the native Sun JDK on WinNT.

The Windows build includes a DLL for Sun JDK (javaswarm.dll) and
another one for Kaffe (kaffeswarm.dll).  The Java stuff is in
swarm.jar, and works with both DLLs.   Thus, there is no reason to
rebuild Swarm for Windows unless you need to modify the source code of
Swarm itself.

¹ FYI, here's the script I use to build against Borland JBuilder's JDK.
The only subtlety is the use of a quoted $SWARMROOT for the prefix.
Swarm expands this symbol at *runtime*.  This is why the
Windows InstallShield package is physically relocatable on the
filesystem.

#!/bin/sh
SWARMSRCDIR=/src/Swarm/swarm

jdk=--with-jdkdir=//H/JBuilder3/java

JAVAC=jikes EMACS=//G/emacs-20.4/bin/emacs $SWARMSRCDIR/configure
--srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR
--prefix='${SWARMROOT}' --with-defaultdir=$SWARMROOT $jdk
make -j 2