RH 6.0 !?!

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: RH 6.0 !?!
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:36:41 -0500

Paul:

Man, you really *do* have too much time on your hands, if you have already
started messing with RedHat 6.0! It's barely out! Not even shipping!

I must say that at this point either OpenLinux 2.2 from Caldera or SuSE 6.1
look more attractive than RedHat -- both include KDE *and* GNOME, and both
include WordPerfect and StarOffice. OpenLinux even throws in BRU for backup
and a version of Partition Magic! (All three seem to be 2.2.x kernel based,
with glibc2.x.) At LinuxMall, OpenLinux and SuSE are both $39.95 while
'standard' RedHat is now $74.95. Though they promise a $40 stripped version
later, without all the documentation, for the 'professionals'. Bah.

The RedHat site is getting less and less useful, imho. The stuff they have
is all fluffied up to be readable and attractive to newbies, but as for
'old-timers' -- well, a short and succinct list of what's new and improved
in 6.0 is nowhere to be found, nor can I seem to find a list of what's
included on their 'application' CD which is used to justify the $75 price
tag. I'm not paying twice the price for a bunch of time-limited demos!

Time to set ncftp to work at the office, I guess ;-)

Sven