Re: Big diatribe on protocols & classes (was Re: Can a Swarminstancebe

From: William S. Shu
Subject: Re: Big diatribe on protocols & classes (was Re: Can a Swarminstancebe treated like a SwarmObject instance?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:43:47 +0100

>I'm not arguing that people ought to assume that any class can implement
>any method.  Rather I say that, with Swarm-1.4.1 as distributed, there
>is little choice but to treat Swarms as if they can respond to these
>things, because they can, even though the Swarm Docs don't say so.

>It all comes back to William's original question, which I believe was
>motivated by the belief that a Swarm class adopted no protocols.

True.  Point taken.  I'm afraid I am working in haze of issues, some
clarified as others are engendered.  I think the bottom line of this thread
(:-)) is:
    In a subsequent version, can we officially (formally or whatever) hold
that Swarm responds to all the [interface] methods of SwarmObject or,
failing that, indicate which methods of SwarmObject a swarm protocol would
respond to.  The alternative would be to make explicit how hierarchies of
swarms (swarms of swarms) can be handled!

(The above should actually be a suggestion, but I could not resist the pun
on (line and thread)!)

William.